on Sun 23 Sep 2007 (21:05 GMT) (2534 views)
In the second phase, we are turning on the Mandatory Security Upgrades for Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME. As noted in the security bulletin, we have built a new version of MSN Messenger 7.0, build number 7.0.0820, that will run on Windows 2000. This version of MSN Messenger has also been tested for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME. Users should expect these upgrades to start soon.
To recap, the set of Messenger clients that do not have the webcam security vulnerability are:
- Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (for XP and Vista)
- MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 (for Windows 2000 and Windows 98, SE, ME)
- Windows Messenger – all versions (XP only)
- MSN Messenger 5.0 for Windows 95.
- Microsoft Messenger for Macintosh (all versions)
What I find interesting is that Microsoft are still forcing the update despite the high amount of criticising comments left on the MessengerSays blog.